Monday, August 1, 2011

The Magic Kingdom and the ride home

The last day of the trip was spent at the Magic Kingdom - the original theme park in Orlando. It's still got it even though many of the attractions are over 40 years old. It's hard not to go on It's a Small World and the Haunted House even if the thrills at some of the other parks clearly are better than these classics. Everyone had a spectacular day there even with the knowledge that we'd be leaving the park at 10 and going right to the bus for the 23 hour ride home. We left the park at 11 PM Saturday and pulled into camp at 9:30 PM Sunday night.

Along the way we encountered buffet dining in North Carolina (where the idiot at the checkout charged me the senior rate) - a savings of a whopping 49 cents - even though I clearly wasn't even close to the senior age requirement. OK, maybe I was close but he didn't know that. After spending a week with 32 15 years olds at theme parks I figured I looked much younger. Lunch was at that personal favorite - Kentucky Fried Chicken - which goes by KFC so maybe you'll forget the F stands for fried! Trust me, after you take one bite of the chicken you know its fried!

And then the big debate was if we should stop for dinner on the GSP or the NYT (for those of you not familiar with tri-state area roadways - tough). We ended up going all the way to Hopewell Junction and ordered Sunny's Chicken Parm sandwiches and pizza - the staple food for every person who has ever gone to Kinder Ring! It was just as bad last night as it was 30 years ago! But it was food and at 10 PM after sitting on a bus for 23 plus hours that was the only qualification.

After a long hot shower it was off to bed only to be awakened this morning to those wonderful words - Good morning campers, it's a beautiful Kinder Ring morning. And it was, like every Kinder Ring morning is. Breakfast in the dining room and then my trip report to Irene and it was time to come home.

I got home at about 12:30 and Ilise was waiting in the driveway for me and I couldn't have been happier to see her! Cali was at the vet because after today Cali is no longer able to have little Cali's so our reunion won't take place until tomorrow night. I'm thinking she might not be too happy to see me then but I'm going to blame her new status on Ilise. Wasn't me - I wasn't even home to take you to the vet!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment